Thursday, October 24, 2013

Final Thoughts

Honestly, I cannot believe that we have reached the end of this program.  It has been a very challenging, yet rewarding experience.  I have learned many things throughout the course of the program at Walden; however, three major concepts stand out.  First, our culture defines who we are, in fact our cultural identity is fused to all of the other identities that make up who we are.  As a result, early childhood education will not be effective if room is not made for the full expression of every child and family's cultural identity.  Second, to be a professional educator teachers must become skilled in the areas of self-reflection.  Reflection not only reveals our hidden biases so that we can learn to eliminate them; it reveals our strengths and weaknesses.  Finally, I learned that big change is possible even if it is a small group that is working for the change.  Passion and inspiration are powerful forces.  When someone is passionate about a concept or topic it means that in some way it connects with their heart.  I believe that it is important that early childhood educators remember this as we connect with and teach others whether they are children, families, or colleagues.  When others are truly adamant about an issue it means something for them and has personal relevance, which we should be respectful of.

A long-term goal that I have is to be an instructor/professor at the community college level.  I believe that early childhood teacher education is an important area of the field.  Teacher educators are tasked with preparing the future of the early childhood field!  It is a place of great responsibility but also great possibility to inspire and ignite social change.

Finally, I would like to thank my professors and colleagues for this amazing journey.  On February 27, 2012 I really did not know if I could work through this program or not; yet here we are.  I appreciate your comments, your encouragement, and your questioning.  I believe this program has left us with the skills we need to be professionals in our highly important field.  I wish you all the best!  If you would like to stay in touch with me, I plan on keeping my blog active.  Also, you may email me at joseph.starnes1@gmail.com

7 comments:

  1. Joseph,
    Thank you for sharing your goals, dreams and passions throughout this course. Thank you for your responses. I wish you the best in your future endeavors.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joseph,
    Congratulations on completing this goal. I was reminded of the biases you have confronted by pursuing a career in early childhood education and I want to thank you for sharing your voice as a man in early childhood. I attended a workshop Tuesday evening given my two men, (adult educators) that wanted the audience to look deeply at the learning environment we create for young boys. That a field so predominantly female may thwart a boys way of knowing and being. Best wishes in your career goals and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joseph, Good luck in your future endeavors! I will check in periodically and read your blogs as you have shared an abundance of insightful thoughts and information. Thank you for all that you have contributed to my growth and development.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Joseph,

    One of the major lessons that I learned and skills that I acquired through this journey was learning how to introspect and learn about myself by acknowledging my strength and weakness, biases, and passion. It is indeed a valuable skill that helps us progress while being mindful of others. Thanks for sharing your future goals and hope. Wish you all the best!

    Maryam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Believe it! We made it and we have gained so much in the process! This has been a rewarding journey. Thank you for being a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for all that you have shared through this program. I agree that our culture influences our various social identities which is why I have so much passion for sharing the importance of bringing culture into children’s learning environment as well as the value of their families active participation in the early childhood program.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joseph,
    My goal is to also prepare teachers on a community college level. I think this is a path to really impact children lives in a broader way. Perhaps our paths will cross in the future. Thank you for your shared knowledge throughout this program. Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete