Saturday, September 14, 2013

Exploring Communities of Practice

In my area there are three small communities of practice that I believe do excellent work in regards to supporting practitioners, children, and families.  The first one is the York County Directors Association which is composed of directors of local child development centers.  The directors meet once a month to discuss experiences and challenges that they may be facing in their centers.  For example, a recent meeting focused on how to support and encourage early childhood teachers.  I think a small network like this, although very informal, is a great tool which allows the members to discuss problems and share solutions.  The group is so small that they do not have any online presence.  The second group that I would like to discuss is York County First Steps, which is an organization that focuses on getting children ready for school by supporting the children, teachers, and centers in which they are enrolled.  The agency is part of a state agency which shares the same mission.  Any early childhood educator can join the group as long as their center is willing to participate.  First Steps offers trainings, professional development, parent resources, and grants for children, schools, and families.  The final organization is Easter Seals, which provides services for people with disabilities.  Easter Seals has an amazing early childhood branch which sends qualified teachers and therapists to work with children in school and in the home if the child is not able to attend school.  Easter Seals works with teachers to provide training, support, and adaptive equipment so that children can participate to the fullest extent possible.

One career that I would be interested in is a Program Manager at Easter Seals, which requires a Master's degree in Early Childhood education.  The position also requires that the candidate be organized, passionate, and inspiring all important characteristics for working with children and families.  Another career I would be interested in is being an instructor in a community college, which would allow me to help students find their own networks and sources of support.

Resources

Easter Seals  www.eastersealsucp.com
First Steps  www.scfirststeps.org

8 comments:

  1. Joseph,
    I think that you have highlighted some great groups. The small intimate communities can be very effective as the members share and understanding of the area and people. The trick is to keep the meetings intentional and commit to further action toward the goal. Thanks for the information about Easter Seals. I am not aware of their work in our area, but I will find out. Hope you are having a great capstone course, best wishes, and I miss your input on the discussion board. (so I am continuing to follow your blog-Thanks) Wendy Newby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joseph,
    Easter Seals is a great organization to be associated with. I once had a foster child who received services from this organization. They were available for all conferences and I found it was a good support system for a parent who was new to dealing with a child in my home who needed additional help. I share the same outlook as you because I would like to teach at the local vocational school.
    Yolonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joseph,

    You have offered three wonderful resources. Thank you for bringing Easter Seals to my attention. I want to open my own center and be able to provide services for children with disabilities. Easter Seals is a wonderful resource to help me with this.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Joseph,

    I share the same passion about teaching at college. I think through educating the future early childhood instructors we can greatly impact children, families and the society.
    Easter Seals seems like a very interesting and helpful organization. Based on your post and Yolonda's comment, it is obvious that a lot of families are benefiting from their services. Thanks for sharing your resources.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joseph,
    I too love the idea of working with Easter Seals, due to their focus on support for educators. Do you belong to any of the Communities of Practice that you speak of?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Joseph,
    Outstanding groups and I am very interest in the Easter Seals. I have heard of them because as a little girl. I am finding agencies which have great opportunities for the early childhood field. Have you join any of these groups? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joseph,
    The York County Directors Association although small sounds as though it makes great impacts on the lives of children. Having the opportunity to discuss and receive support from colleagues is so important. The children and staff at these centers are fortunate to be led by problem solvers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing! York’s First Steps looks like a great organization. They are very similar to a program in Sacramento called First 5 Sacramento. First 5 Sacramento provides families with quality resources and programs that have a positive impact on the development of their children. In addition, Easter Seals is a wonderful organization that is also located in California. I defiantly refer many families to them!
    Reference
    First 5 Sacramento Commission. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.first5sacramento.net/Pages/default.aspx

    ReplyDelete